What is the RCM?
Established by the Coaching Association of Canada and the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, the RCM invites all coaches and sport organizations to learn and apply consistent safety principles. It includes three distinct pillars, each serving to create a sport environment that is Safe, Smart, and Secure.
The RCM Pillars
Each pillar of the Responsible Coaching Movement provides crucial elements, resources and processes to follow for sport to be Safe, Smart and Secure for all.
Rule of Two
A safe sport environment ensures all coaches, staff, and administrators apply the Rule of Two. When following the Rule of Two, all interactions and communications with participants are in open, observable, and justifiable settings, and two responsible adults — whether a coach, parent, staff or screened volunteer — are present. There may be exceptions in emergency situations. Check with your sport organization as to how the Rule of Two is enforced.
A secure sport environment is one where all coaches and sport organization leaders are screened to meet requirements to be involved in sport. Screening includes comprehensive background and reference checks, interviews, plus police information checks, to be done at regular intervals.
A smart sport environment ensures coaches are trained and have the confidence and skills needed to effectively manage challenging situations. Lifelong learning through numerous training modules helps coaches expand their knowledge and awareness of important topics throughout their career.
Create a positive sport culture
The following action items protect participants and coaches while fostering a positive sport culture:
- Engage in Safe Sport Training.
- Ensure your organization has taken the RCM Pledge.
- Support your organization by having key policies in place and make sure these are current and enforced. Use any of the provided CAC templates for this.
- Ensure that all coaches and volunteers are appropriately screened.
- Encourage coaches and volunteers to take training, such as NCCP Make Ethical Decisions, Commit To Kids, Respect in Sport, Mental Health in Sport, and NCCP Creating a Positive Sport Environment training.
- Ensure all staff, parents and volunteers actively apply the Rule of Two in all interactions and communications, for all in-person and in digital/virtual settings.
- Foster a values-based approach to sport by activating the True Sport Principles.
Join True Sport!
True Sport is an approach to values-based sport that is underpinned by seven principles. When “Go For It, Play Fair, Respect Others, Keep It Fun, Stay Healthy, Include Everyone, and Give Back” are intentionally and consistently activated on and off the field of play, it creates positive sport experiences and leads to a culture of good sport.
Positive experiences in sport help to instil character in participants, strengthen communities and increase opportunities for excellence. To learn more about how you can activate True Sport review the True Sport Member infographics.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to some of the most common questions about the Responsible Coaching Movement.
Keep Sport Safe, Smart and Secure
We have launched a national Responsible Coaching Movement campaign aimed at encouraging sport organizations across the country to take the RCM pledge.
Creating a culture in sport that is truly safe, smart and secure for everyone is a team effort, and that is why we hope you will join us in raising awareness about this impactful campaign.
RCM Champion : Webinars
Have you made the RCM commitment, are wondering what to do next, and want to see examples of how other clubs are implementing the Responsible Coaching movement? Sign up for our webinar for tips and tricks.
Learn more about the three pillars, the rule of two, background checks and ethics training. Share your commitment to building a safe, knowledgeable and secure sport organization with your coaches, athletes, volunteers, parents, officials, etc.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and the registration link.
* This webinar is exclusively for RCM Champions and the recording will be available upon request.