Designed for the first-time coach of athletes in the FUNdamentals stage (ages 6-8 females/6-9 males) of athlete development, this six-hour, in-class and in the gym workshop will help you understand who you are coaching, provide you with the basic skills for planning a practice, and show you how to teach those skills in a fun and inclusive way.
This workshop will give you all of the tools you need to hit the court with confidence as a first-time children’s basketball coach.
Over the course of six hours, this in-class and on-court workshop will help you:
- Understand the level of athlete you are coaching (typically children between the ages of 6-10);
- Equip yourself with basic tools to plan safe, fun and effective practices;
- Learn how to teach basic basketball skills from a games approach in a fun and inclusive way.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS WORKSHOP?
- Anyone with limited or basic basketball experience who wants to get involved at the community level to coach children’s basketball;
- Parents/guardians volunteering with their child’s basketball program;
- Coaches looking to transfer their coaching knowledge in order to acquire games approach drills and an understanding of this age group.
- Assistant coaches that want to further their knowledge of basketball and contribute in building their athlete’s skills
WHO WOULD YOU COACH?
You would coach players with little to no previous basketball experience – typically children aged 6-10 in the FUNdamentals stage of Long-term Athlete Development (LTAD).