- 2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Makes 10 servings
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients. Pulse just until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3–4 hours before serving.
- Serve with baked tortilla wedges, pita bread, and/or assorted raw vegetables.
TIP: Always thoroughly rinse and drain canned beans before using them to decrease the amount of sodium and gas producing sugars. If you have time, soak 2 cups of dry black beans overnight in 3-4 inches of water. Drain and rinse. Place in a pot with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain and cool and they are ready to go.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (PER ¼ CUP SERVING)
- Calories: 41.5
- Fat: 0.20g
- Carbohydrate: 7g
- Protein: 2.43g
- Fibre: 2g
Sport Benefits: Canned beans are a necessary pantry staple. They are inexpensive, versatile, and chocked full of protein, carbohydrates, and fibre. Use this as a post-workout snack with some veggies and pita or whole grain crackers, and a glass of milk, and you’ve got a complete recovery balance of carbs and protein!
Recipes taken from PowerFuel Food, Planning Meals for Maximum Performance, by Angela Dufour, RD, CSSD, Performance Dietitian