The tragic circumstances of late highlight the unacceptable injustice and discrimination that continues in our world. The CAC is committed to support the Black Lives Matter movement and stand with communities of Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), and with all those who face injustice and discrimination from systemic and individual racism.
As an organization committed to education and continuous learning, we have the opportunity to shape our leadership role to be one of action.
We will listen. We will learn. We will lead.
To our coaches, we encourage you to listen, learn, and lead by example for your athletes and participants through the resources below. These actions are important first steps in our collective journey.
Diversity is our strength. Let’s stand together in solidarity and support one another.
Chief Executive Officer
Coaching Association of Canada
Read the full statement
- The Government of Canada has compiled numerous resources relevant to combating racism, some specific to the topics of employment and justice.
- QuakeLab provides organizations expertise on embedding inclusivity and equity. Their blog post, Welcome to Black Canada: How To Take Action, is an excellent read.
- In her blog post "Black Lives Will Still Matter Tomorrow - But Will You Still Care?" Celina Caesar-Chavannes, a former Member of Parliament for Whitby and mother of 3, provides a powerful and personal perspective.
- In her reflections on #BlackLivesMatter, Indigenous Black 100m hurdler and 2017 Tom Longboat Award Recipient Joy SpearChief-Morris expresses her fears and fatigue and urges others to embrace their own feelings of discomfort.
- Originally created in the United States, Black Lives Matter has become an international movement with chapters around the world, including in Toronto and Vancouver.
- The Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, of which we are a partner organization, has prepared a resource guide of educational offerings that focuses on race and anti-racism.
- The Canadian Race Relations Foundation is Canada’s leading agency dedicated to the elimination of racism and all forms of discrimination in Canadian society.
- Aboriginal Coaching Modules: A training curriculum created by the CAC and the Aboriginal Sport Circle that reflects unique Aboriginal culture, values, and lifestyles.
- #CoachToolKit Video: Creating a more inclusive environment, with NCCP Coach Developer Award recipient Greg Henhawk. Presented by TeamSnap.