- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Medium onion
- 1 cup, cubed butternut squash
- 30 oz, canned chickpeas
- 15 oz, canned diced tomatoes
- 1 ¾ cup canned pure pumpkin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large stock pot or in slow cooker.
- Chop onion and squash (if not buying frozen) and add to pan pot and sauté for 3 - 5 minutes until onions have softened.
- Pour in chickpeas, pumpkin, tomatoes, and broth and stir to combine.
- Add in quinoa and spices and set slow cooker on low.
- Stir in maple syrup and lemon juice, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Slow cook on low for 4-6 hours or 30-40 minutes in a stock pot. Adjust to desired level of thickness by adding more broth if needed.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (PER 2 CUPS)
- Calories: 424
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 69 g
- Fiber: 17 g
- Protein: 16 g
Sport Benefits: It doesn’t get any easier than throwing all of the ingredients into a slow cooker and having to do nothing else! A balanced meal in a bowl! The quinoa in this recipe makes this meatless chili a complete protein option comparable to an animal protein providing all of the essential amino acids (building blocks of protein) that is crucial for an athletes’ diet. Not to mention a budget friendly alternative to meat! Serve with some whole grain baguette.
Recipe Adapted from: www.superhealthykids.com