PUREED SWEET POTATO AND LENTIL SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER
- 1 L carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of curry (optional)
- 1/2 cup split red lentils (canned and rinsed are ok too)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- Plain yogurt for serving
Makes 8 1-cup servings
- Place lentils, sweet potatoes, broth, onion, spinach and curry in slow cooker.
- Slow cook on low for 4-6 hours
- Add milk to hot soup (after sweet potatoes are tender, approximately 4-6 hours).
- Purée, using an immersion blender, directly in slow cooker. Or you can carefully ladle about ⅓ of the soup into a blender or food processor.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, if using.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (PER 1 CUP SERVING)
- Calories: 65
- Fiber 1.2g
Sport Benefits: Look for split red lentils as they cook in half the time as regular red lentils.
If you like a silky-smooth soup, purée entire soup and leave out spinach. Substitute butternut squash for sweet potato. Make this for after late night practices/games to re-fuel hungry athletes or take to school in a thermos for a convenient lunch!
Recipe Adapted from www.dairygoodness.ca